I had been a loyal wearer of Icon Super Duty boots for a few years now but I’ve recently decided to change styles. I’m currently wearing a pair of Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof touring boots. As a commuter the Super Duty worked well for me in that I could wear them all day at the office; however I am currently working from home and wanted a more substantial boot strictly for touring. The leather Alpinestars Ridge boot provides everything I was looking for at a reasonable price.
The Ridge boot is solid black with a reflective tab on the back of the heel for increased visibility (although a token increase – it’s a tiny patch). Stylish without being garish you can slip off your over-pants and wear these boots with jeans without them appearing out of place. I really don’t miss having laces…
The mid-sole is contoured to the foot which makes walking extremely comfortable. The upper and rear Achilles areas are sewn in sections (flex zones they call them) to allow greater flexibility which makes the boot feel much less stiff than it would be otherwise. Velcro on both sides at the top as well as a strap at the mid-foot make getting on and off a breeze. The foot bed is removable which is a plus for me since I like to add heel cups in most of my boots to prevent slippage.
I wear a size 10 in most footwear and the Alpinestars size 10 is a perfect fit for me. They don’t seem to run large or small.
I had always assumed a full traditional motorcycle boot would be bulky and stiff but the Ridge is the opposite. They are extremely light and comfortable. The vulcanized rubber sole pattern is designed to prevent slippage in every direction when you put a foot down on a wet road as well, which I find a nice touch. One complaint I had about Icon Super Duty boots was the sole separation that tended to happen at the heal after a while. The Ridge boot features a side wrapping design that seemingly addresses that concern. I’ve read people complaining about the lack of a “pull loop” to aid in getting the boots on but I can’t say I share that complaint. With the velcro upper these boots are easy to open wide and get a foot in.
At $149 for a stylish, comfortable, waterproof motorcycle boot the Ridge is hard to beat.
Details from Alpinestars:
* Full-grain leather upper with lightweight fabric insert.
* Dual density lateral and medial ankle cups.
* Alpinestars’ exclusive vulcanized rubber compound sole with unique side wrapping design.
* Waterproof and breathable Drystar® lining keeps your feet dry in all conditions but has excellent breathability, ensuring comfort.
* Midsole contours to the foot for a more natural feel while riding and walking.
* Removable anatomic foot bed and multi-density EVA padding for improved comfort.
* High modulus shank reinforcement in the sole prevents excessive deformation of the boot in the event of an accident.
* Double width adjustable Velcro® straps for secure closure and fit.
* Internal toe and heel counter are layered under the full grain leather.
* Velcro® adjuster strap on the instep and Achilles flex zones provide superior comfort.
* Rear reflective insert improves rider visibility in poor conditions.
* The Ridge Waterproof Boot is CE certified.